There is big news for the students preparing for medical or studying in medical colleges. The National Medical Commission has released the draft regulation for the next exam. According to the draft PDF released on the official website of NMC, now a major change has been made in the next exam pattern. It has been told for whom this exam will be held. How will it be taken? What will be the pattern of NEXT exam and what will be the papers in it? The National Medical Commission has sought suggestions from the stakeholders on this.
Download NExT Exam Draft Regulations issued by NMC.
How will be the NExT Exam Pattern?
- This exam will be taken in two phases, which have been given the name of Step. ie step 1 and step 2.
- Next exam will be stage 1 theory exam. Multiple choice questions will be asked in this. The exam will be conducted on Computer Based Test (CBT) i.e. online mode.
- This exam will be of national level, which will be organized by the exam agency prescribed by NMC.
- There will be a total of 6 papers in which subjects from MBBS 3rd and MBBS Final Part 1, Part 2 will be covered. These papers are Medicine and Allied Disciplines, Surgery and Allied Disciplines, Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Pediatrics, Otorhinolaryngology, Ophthalmology, Applied Aspects of all subjects in MBBS Year 1 and 2, Applied Aspects of all subjects in MBBS Year 3 and Final Part 1.
- This exam will be taken once in a year every year. It will be conducted before the compulsory rotating internship of MBBS 3rd Year Part 2/ Final MBBS.
- If you fail in one or more subjects in this exam, then you will get a chance to appear in the NEXT supplementary exam, which will be held in the same year. You will also get a chance to increase the score.
- There is no limit on the number of attempts in NExT Step 1 Exam. However, within 10 years of joining the MBBS course, you will have to clear both the steps.
- NExT Step 2 will consist of practical/ clinical and viva voce. Clinical subjects will be covered in this. The exam will be on objective structure. In this, along with your clinical skills, decision making skills and communication skills will also be tested.
- The NEXT Step 2 exam will also be held once a year. Those who fail in one or more (maximum 3) subjects will get a supplementary chance. All other rules will be same as in step 1.
What is NExT Exam?
This exam will replace NEET PG. If you want to take admission in medical PG course after MBBS, then you have to give NEXT exam instead of NEET PG. Apart from this, this exam will also have to be given to get the license of medical practice in India. It has been said in the NMC NEXT draft regulation that this exam will also replace the traditional exams of both the parts of MBBS third year, final year.