The rainy season is very pleasant. There is much respite from the heat, but this weather is challenging. Monsoon brings many challenges along with happiness. One of the major problems in this season is to protect the food from spoilage. It becomes very difficult to store food and drink for a long time. Actually, there is a lot of moisture in the rainy season, due to which the taste of food changes and gets spoiled. Due to presence of fungus and bacteria, eating them is like giving feast to diseases.
Storing food items for the monsoon season and ensuring that they do not spoil quickly is an art form. Along with having enough general knowledge, it is also important to know some simple and easy methods. Food items like cereals, rice, pulses spoil very quickly due to contact with food items with high moisture content during monsoon season. So let us see how you can preserve food items including cereals and pulses for months with some simple methods.
1. As you must have seen. In the rainy season, sugar and salt absorb moisture and dissolve half like glue, leaving a lump. Sugar and salt have the property of absorbing moisture from the atmosphere very quickly, so store them in airtight glass containers rather than plastic containers. Also put some rice in the same vessel. Rice absorbs moisture and retains sugar and salt. If you do not want rice, you can also keep a clove bud in this box.
2. Pulses germinate very quickly. That’s why they can be fried a little during monsoon. Also filter a little in a dry pan and keep it to cool, then store in an airtight glass container.
3. Dry fruits and dry seeds also spoil quickly during monsoon. Dry fruits including almonds and cashews can be stored in a zip lock cover in the freezer. Can be used little by little if required.
4. Pre-monsoon, pre-monsoon spices should be dried thoroughly in the sun and stored in separate air-tight containers. In the rainy season, they lose their freshness even though they do not spoil.
5. Placing a piece of camphor or a bitter leaf where grains including rice, wheat and pulses are kept can also ward off insects.
6. Storage space is as important as the storage container. Store in a dry, moisture-free place. Whenever you buy fruits or vegetables, make sure that they are fresh, because it is very difficult to preserve food prepared from them for a long time after buying long shelf life products. Buy goods from where fresh goods are kept.
7. Do not keep cereals or pulses in the sun as they are thought to dry up during the monsoon. Even in dry weather in the rainy season, if it looks dry due to moisture but does not dry properly, it rots quickly. Good for nothing. Therefore, dry storage of food grains should be completed for the rainy season as well.
8. Keep snacks and snacks in airtight containers. They quickly absorb moisture and become mushy and not good to eat. Even after roasting, keeping papaya in an airtight container will keep it fresh for four to five days.
9. Do not keep more than one type of snacks, snacks in the same container. Keep each in a separate container. If different types of snacks or cereals are stored in the same container, they will spread moisture to each other and everything will turn mushy or spoil.
10. How to store milk-curd ghee. If you want to store milk products such as milk, curd, ghee or cream in this season, then keep them in the refrigerator at a temperature of 0 to 5 degrees. Due to this, bacteria do not grow and things remain fresh for a long time.