Colaba residents protest the proposed jetty and amphitheatre project near Gateway of India, gathering nearly 2,800 signatures in opposition | File Photo

Mumbai: The residents’ protest against the jetty and amphitheatre planned at Colaba, has gained momentum. The online petition started by the residents of Colaba last week has received almost 2,800 signatures by Thursday evening and the target is to gather a minimum of 5,000 supporters to create pressure on the government to reconsider the project.

The Colaba jetty and terminal has been proposed at a cost of Rs 229 crore between Gateway of India and Radio Club. The fisheries and ports minister, Nilesh Rane had performed the ground-breaking ceremony for the project earlier this month. However, after the vehement protest by the residents, Rane has ordered to stop the work till April 10.

Colaba residents protest the proposed jetty and amphitheatre project near Gateway of India, gathering nearly 2,800 signatures in opposition

Colaba residents protest the proposed jetty and amphitheatre project near Gateway of India, gathering nearly 2,800 signatures in opposition | File Photo

“The Jetty project near the Gateway of India is not just an infrastructure plan; it is a threat to Colaba’s identity, environment and future. By opposing this project, we are standing up for our heritage, our city and our planet. Join the ‘Save Colaba’ movement and say ‘No To Jetty’ to protect Colaba for generations to come. Together, we can ensure that development does not come at the cost of our history, environment and community!” the online petition says. It also emphasizes the need to protect Mumbai’s heritage, reduce traffic congestion, and address the growing risks of climate change.

Colaba residents protest the proposed jetty and amphitheatre project near Gateway of India, gathering nearly 2,800 signatures in opposition

Colaba residents protest the proposed jetty and amphitheatre project near Gateway of India, gathering nearly 2,800 signatures in opposition | File Photo

“The work has been halted, not stopped. We have to ensure the work does not resume. The residents opposing the project are gathering on April 5, wearing ‘Black Clothes’ and decide our further course of action before we meet Minister Rane on April 10. We will propose reconsidering shifting the jetty to Princess Dock, which already has a jetty,” said resident activist Rocky Lobo.

Meanwhile, the residents are in the process of filing a PIL in Bombay High Court against the project and as much as 19 RTIs addressing to authorities including the Maritime Board, Heritage Conservation Committee, Mumbai Traffic Police, etc, seeking approval documents and feasibility study. The residents who came on ground to stop the work last week, claimed that the workers failed to produce copy of work orders, further alleging that the project lacks all required permissions.

The residents have been alleging that the Colaba jetty is planned for the VIPs with vested interest without considering local issues like traffic congestion and overcrowding, which will severely affect the residents. The road in front of the Taj Mahal palace sees slow-moving traffic every day in peak hours due to tourist vehicles as well as taxis. While the area is crowded on holidays due to tourists at the Gateway of India.


Rahul Dev

Cricket Jounralist at Newsdesk

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *